The first induction cooker appeared in the 80s of the 20th century. The manufacturer was AEG.
At first, the devices were not popular due to the high cost and alertness on the part of Housewives to all innovations related to cooking.
Now the situation has changed: more and more people choose induction cooktops, due to their safety, convenience, heating speed and automatic control.
What is an induction cooker?
The induction cooker is the most innovative cooking equipment. The innovation lies in the fact that only the dishes are heated, the hob itself remains cold — this is due to the electromagnetic field.
Undoubtedly, an induction cooker is the best option for Housewives with small children, because the risk of getting burns is minimized.The device is much safer than plates with glass-ceramic tiles or with standard cast-iron pancakes.
The principle of operation
The induction cooker works on the principle of electromagnetic induction by physicist Michael Faraday — an electric current occurs in a closed circuit after a change in the magnetic flux that passes through this circuit.We can say that an induction hob is a transformer.
Under the glass-ceramic panel is an induction coil, under which an electric current flows.
The coil is the primary winding, the cookware is secondary, and induction currents are sent to its bottom. This heats up the pans and pans, as well as the food in them.The glass-ceramic surface gets hotter just from the dishes.
Types of induction cookers
There are several types of induction cookers:
- Desktop versions.These portable cooktops have one or two hotplates. A good option for small kitchens, where you need to save space; as well as in the country. The main advantages: mobility, multi-functionality, timer, constant temperature retention, accelerated operation mode. The surface of the plates is glass-ceramic or tempered glass, such coatings are not destroyed by strong heat or impacts. A table-top induction cooker is more economical than others, as it consumes much less current. In addition, its design can not but please the eye, as it corresponds to modern trends and colors.
- Embedded devices.Such devices are appreciated by professional chefs and practical Housewives. The stove is highly productive, as it has 4 burners and an oven. The device has many temperature options, a timer, and food preparation options. Built-in slabs are well suited for private homes, or in apartments with a large area.
- Combined ones.The whole secret is that two burners work in induction mode, and the other two – on electricity.
How does the stove work?
The induction process occurs at the expense of:
- frequency Converter;
- connecting wires;
- management boards;
- induction coil;
- insulation layer;
- glass-ceramic surface;
- dishes made of ferromagnetic material.
In addition, the induction cooker device includes a temperature sensor, a cooling system for electrical components and a housing.
Pros and cons
Consider the main advantages of induction cookers over gas and electric ones:
- Instant heating. Thanks to the electromagnetic field, only pans, pots and other utensils are heated in induction technology. You can not be afraid to touch the stove with your hands, and if the soup runs away — it will not stick to the hob so that it will be impossible to wipe it with a sponge. Do not touch the hotplate on which food is prepared, and even more so hot dishes.
- Work efficiency. Induction cookers have high efficiency, because food heats up as much as 90% of the total heat generated. This greatly increases the efficiency of work and reduces the cooking time: the dishes heat up very quickly, respectively, the food is also prepared faster. In terms of cooking time, gas and electric cookers are significantly inferior to induction.
- Economical power consumption. Based on the fact that an induction cooker works faster than an electric one, you can understand that it consumes less electricity. The current is not used to heat the spiral, but only to create a magnetic field in the induction coil.
- Automation system. An important advantage of induction cookers is that the system works automatically: the hotplates heat up when pots or pans are placed on them. It is worth noting that the hob does not heat objects with a diameter lower than a certain parameter. This means that if you accidentally leave a spoon on the hotplate, the stove will not turn on. Induction cookers have many cooking programs and automatic adjustment of the desired temperature. If you need strong heating (for example, to boil water), you should choose a model with the Power Booster option. It will help the main burner attract the power of all the others.
- Touch control. Touch switches are a more technological and sophisticated solution for the device, they look expensive and stylish. Their advantage is that they do not take up much space, and to control it, just touch the desired hotplate with your finger. Using the touch panel, you can intuitively guess how to adjust the temperature or cooking mode. The touch switches are easy to clean — since they are located under the glass-ceramic surface, just wipe them with a wet cloth. Typically, touch-controlled cooking surfaces are equipped with a timer option, residual heat indicators, an accidental power-on lock, and other useful features.
- Embedding in a headset. An undoubted plus for any household equipment is the ability to integrate it into the headset, because saving space and a neat interior has not hurt anyone yet. Embedding an induction panel in furniture is very relevant for small kitchens. Under the hob, you can install a drawer for storing dishes.
- Easy care. The stove has a beautiful appearance, and it is easy to keep it clean. If food falls on the cooking surface, it will not burn, it will be enough to remove it with a soft cloth. For an induction cooker, you do not need to purchase special aggressive cleaning agents — the panel can be wiped every time after cooking and the stove will look like new.
- Security. Due to the fact that the stove turns on only if you place the dishes on the burners, it is safe for both children and animals. In addition, the cooking surface remains cold during cooking, which means that the risk of getting burned remains minimal. It is worth noting that there is no risk of inhaling harmful substances of gas, as well as its leakage. An induction cooker will not allow you to start a fire, even if you forget to remove the frying pan from it.
Consider the main disadvantages of an induction cooker:
- Cost. It’s no secret that the cost of induction cookers is higher than gas or electric. The average consumer won’t be able to afford such a device. However, it is worth noting that against the background of an increase in prices during the crisis period, the difference in the cost of electric and induction cookers has become minimal. The price depends on the built-in functionality, which can be abandoned in favor of a new technology.
- Exposure to electromagnetic radiation. A large percentage of people’s refusal to innovate in the field of food preparation is based on the opinion that the electromagnetic field is bad for human health. Undoubtedly, during the operation of the equipment, an eddy magnetic field is created. But the harm from it is absolutely the same as when using a mobile phone. Manufacturers themselves claim thatpatients who wear pacemakers should stay half a meter away from the induction cooker., or don’t use it at all.
- Increased noise. Unfortunately, the induction cooker does not work silently — when cooking, you can hear a buzz that appears due to the interaction of the induction coils with the dishes. This may be annoying for some cooks, but you should not forget that any cooking gives certain advantages. Every year, home appliance manufacturers produce cookers with a lower noise level. Also on sale are special dishes with a perfectly flat bottom, which allows you to minimize the buzz. Of course, it is not cheap, but it eliminates the buzzing, and also improves thermal conductivity.
- Increased requirements for dishes. When purchasing an induction cooker, it is important to note that not all dishes are suitable for it. To heat by a magnetic field occurred, skorody and pans must have magnetic properties. As a rule, ceramics, glass, and aluminum don’t exactly have them. If the aluminum pressure cooker has a mixture with copper or steel, it can be used on an induction cooker. Another option is to buy removable attachments for the bottom of dishes, these can be purchased in any store where cookers are sold. To find out the compatibility of dishes with a magnetic field, just hold a magnet to it. If it attracts — you can safely buy it.
- Automatic shut-off. Quite a few models have the function of turning off the hotplate after three hours. When buying a stove with induction technology, it is important to take this point into account if you plan to cook jam, broth, or, for example, jelly for a long time on low heat.
- Unable to install over household appliances. Hob manufacturers do not recommend installing the hob over other built-in metal appliances. Thus, the equipment cannot be installed even over an oven, dishwasher, or microwave.
Comparison of induction and electric cookers
|Specifications||Induction cooker||Electric cooker|
|Suitable cookware||Special dishes with ferromagnetic properties||Dishes with a perfectly flat bottom|
|The heating rate||Almost instantly||From 7 to 20 minutes|
|Efficiency ratio||About 90%||About 60%|
|Cost-effectiveness||Consumes less electricity, costs less||Consumes a lot of electricity|
|Security||The hob is safe for children and Pets||It is dangerous for fires and burns|
|Noise||Quite quiet sounds, humming||Silent|
|Care||Liquids and food can be easily removed with a damp cloth||Dirt is difficult to remove|
|Management||Automatic activation, touch control||Mechanical or sensory activation and control|
Based on the above table, we can conclude that a modern induction cooker is a choice in the direction of convenience, safety and functionality.
Of course, the electric hob is also suitable for use, but it will not save the time and patience of Housewives as much as an induction cooker will.
Popular manufacturing brands
Induction cooking surfaces are most often presented in four-burner versions.
All of the above equipment can be found at different companies:
- In the home appliance market, the most popular manufacturers of induction cookers is a German companyBosch.The company has the largest number of positive reviews and commendations.
- Electrolux —the second most popular brand. The cost of the company’s induction equipment practically does not differ from the prices of the sales leader.
- Positive reviews were also earned by the company’s induction cookersHansa. These are the most affordable cooktops, starting from 13 thousand rubles.
- In addition to the above, in Russia it is possible to buy induction cookers companiesAEG, Whirpool, Neff, Gorenje, Siemens, Samsungetc.